BE8252 BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING 2017 REGULATION NOTES AND MATERIALS
- To impart basic knowledge on Civil and Mechanical Engineering.
- To familiarize the materials and measurements used in Civil Engineering.
- To provide the exposure on the fundamental elements of civil engineering structures.
- To enable the students to distinguish the components and working principle of power plant units, IC engines, and R & AC system.
A – OVER VIEW
UNIT I SCOPE OF CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Overview of Civil Engineering – Civil Engineering contributions to the welfare of Society – Specialized sub disciplines in Civil Engineering – Structural, Construction, Geotechnical, Environmental, Transportation and Water Resources Engineering Overview of Mechanical Engineering – Mechanical Engineering contributions to the welfare of
Society –Specialized sub disciplines in Mechanical Engineering – Production, Automobile, Energy Engineering – Interdisciplinary concepts in Civil and Mechanical Engineering.
B – CIVIL ENGINEERING
UNIT II SURVEYING AND CIVIL ENGINEERING MATERIALS
Surveying: Objects – classification – principles – measurements of distances – angles – leveling – determination of areas– contours – examples. Civil Engineering Materials: Bricks – stones – sand – cement – concrete – steel – timber – modern materials
UNIT III BUILDING COMPONENTS AND STRUCTURES
Foundations: Types of foundations – Bearing capacity and settlement – Requirement of good foundations. Civil Engineering Structures: Brickmasonry – stonemasonry – beams – columns – lintels – roofing – flooring – plastering – floor area, carpet area and floor space index – Types of Bridges and Dams – water supply – sources and quality of water – Rain water harvesting – introduction to high way and rail way.
C – MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
UNIT IV INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES AND POWER PLANTS
Classification of Power Plants – Internal combustion engines as automobile power plant – Working principle of Petrol and Diesel Engines – Four stroke and two stroke cycles – Comparison of four stroke and two stroke engines – Working principle of steam, Gas, Diesel, Hydro – electric and Nuclear Power plants –- working principle of Boilers, Turbines, Reciprocating Pumps (single acting and double acting) and Centrifugal Pumps
UNIT V REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM
Terminology of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. Principle of vapour compression and absorption system–Layout of typical domestic refrigerator–Window and Split type room Air conditioner.
On successful completion of this course, the student will be able to
- appreciate the Civil and Mechanical Engineering components of Projects.
- explain the usage of construction material and proper selection of construction materials.
- measure distances and area by surveying
- identify the components used in power plant cycle.
- demonstrate working principles of petrol and diesel engine.
- elaborate the components of refrigeration and Air conditioning cycle.
TOTAL: 60 PERIODS
- Shanmugam Gand Palanichamy MS,“Basic Civil and Mechanical Engineering”,Tata McGraw
- Palanikumar, K. Basic Mechanical Engineering, ARS Publications, 2010.
- Ramamrutham S.,“Basic Civil Engineering”, Dhanpat Rai Publishing Co.(P) Ltd.1999.
- Seetharaman S.,“BasicCivil Engineering”,AnuradhaAgencies,2005.
- ShanthaKumar SRJ.,“Basic Mechanical Engineering”, Hi-tech Publications, Mayiladuthurai, 2000.
- Venugopal K. and Prahu Raja V., “Basic Mechanical Engineering”, Anuradha Publishers, Kumbakonam,2000.
CS8651 INTERNET PROGRAMMING NOTES