CE8301 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS I NOTES 2017 REGULATION
In this post we have posted some notes on CE8301 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS I of PROFESSIONAL CORE for ANNA UNIVERSITY AFFILIATED COLLEGES STUDENTS.
Here We have listed the the notes whichever we could collect for CE8301 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS I subject, We think that it will be helpful for your exam preparation.
👉 To learn the fundamental concepts of Stress, Strain and deformation of solids.
👉 To know the mechanism of load transfer in beams, the induced stress resultants and
👉 To understand the effect of torsion on shafts and springs.
👉 To analyze plane and space trusses
UNIT I STRESS, STRAIN AND DEFORMATION OF SOLIDS
Simple Stresses and strains – Elastic constants – Relationship between elastic constants – Stress – Strain Diagram – Ultimate Stress – Yield Stress – Deformation of axially loaded member – Composite Bars – Thermal Stresses – State of Stress in two dimensions – Stresses on inclined planes – Principal Stresses and Principal Planes – Maximum shear stress – Mohr’s circle method.
UNIT II TRANSFER OF LOADS AND STRESSES IN BEAMS
Types of loads, supports, beams – concept of shearing force and bending moment – Relationship between intensity of load, Shear Force and Bending moment – Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams for Cantilever, simply supported and overhanging beams with concentrated load, uniformly distributed load, uniformly varying load and concentrated moment. Theory of Simple Bending – Stress Distribution due to bending moment and shearing force – Flitched Beams – Leaf Springs.
UNIT III DEFLECTION OF BEAMS
Elastic curve – Governing differential equation – Double integration method – Macaulay’s method – Area moment method – conjugate beam method for computation of slope and deflection of determinant beams.
UNIT IV TORSION
Theory of Torsion – Stresses and Deformations in Solid and Hollow Circular Shafts – combined bending moment and torsion of shafts – Power transmitted to shaft – Shaft in series and parallel – Closed and Open Coiled helical springs – springs in series and parallel – Design of buffer springs.
UNIT V ANALYSIS OF TRUSSES
Determinate and indeterminate trusses – Analysis of pin jointed plane determinate trusses by method of joints, method of sections and tension coefficient – Analysis of Space trusses by tension coefficient method.
TOTAL :45 PERIODS
Students will be able to
👉 Understand the concepts of stress and strain, principal stresses and principal planes.
👉 Determine Shear force and bending moment in beams and understand concept of theory of simple bending.
👉 Calculate the deflection of beams by different methods and selection of method for determining slope or deflection.
👉 Apply basic equation of torsion in design of circular shafts and helical springs, .
👉 Analyze the pin jointed plane and space trusses
1. Rajput.R.K. “Strength of Materials”, S.Chand and Co, New Delhi, 2015.
2. Punmia.B.C., Ashok Kumar Jain and Arun Kumar Jain, SMTS –I Strength of materials,
Laxmi publications. New Delhi, 2015 .
3. Rattan . S. S, “Strength of Materials”, Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited, New Delhi, 2012.
4. Bansal. R.K. “Strength of Materials”, Laxmi Publications Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2010 .
1. Timoshenko.S.B. and Gere.J.M, “Mechanics of Materials”, Van Nos Reinbhold, New Delhi 1999.
2. Vazirani.V.N and Ratwani.M.M, “Analysis of Structures”, Vol I Khanna Publishers, New Delhi,1995.
3. Junnarkar.S.B. and Shah.H.J, “Mechanics of Structures”, Vol I, Charotar Publishing House, New Delhi 2016.
4. Singh. D.K., “ Strength of Materials”, Ane Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2016
5. Basavarajaiah, B.S. and Mahadevappa, P., Strength of Materials, Universities Press,
6. Gambhir. M.L., “Fundamentals of Solid Mechanics”, PHI Learning Private Limited., New Delhi, 2009.
CE8301 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS I NOTES
If you have any queries or comments on this post, kindly contact us through contact form or telegram
To contact us through telegram – Click here