ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY NOTES AND MATERIALS 2017 REGULATION
In this post we have posted some notes on CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY of BASIC SCIENCES for ANNA UNIVERSITY AFFILIATED COLLEGES STUDENTS.
Here We have listed the the notes whichever we could collect for CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY subject, We think that it will be helpful for your exam preparation.
- To make the students conversant with boiler feed water requirements, related problems and water treatment techniques.
- To develop an understanding of the basic concepts of phase rule and its applications to single and two component systems and appreciate the purpose and significance of alloys.
- Preparation, properties and applications of engineering materials.
- Types of fuels, calorific value calculations, manufacture of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels.
- Principles and generation of energy in batteries, nuclear reactors, solar cells, wind mills and fuel cells.
UNIT I WATER AND ITS TREATMENT
Hardness of water – types – expression of hardness – units – estimation of hardness of water by EDTA – numerical problems – boiler troubles (scale and sludge) -treatment of boiler feed water – Internal treatment (phosphate, colloidal, sodium aluminate and calgon conditioning) external treatment – Ion exchange process, zeolite process – desalination of brackish water – Reverse Osmosis.
UNIT II SURFACE CHEMISTRY AND CATALYSIS
Adsorption: Types of adsorption – adsorption of gases on solids – adsorption of solute from solutions – adsorption isotherms – Freundlich‘s adsorption isotherm – Langmuir‘s adsorption isotherm – contact theory – kinetics of surface reactions, unimolecular reactions, Langmuir – applications of adsorption on pollution abatement. Catalysis: Catalyst – types of catalysis – criteria – autocatalysis – catalytic poisoning and catalytic promoters – acid base catalysis – applications (catalytic convertor) – enzyme catalysis– Michaelis – Menten equation.
UNIT III ALLOYS AND PHASE RULE
Alloys: Introduction- Definition- properties of alloys- significance of alloying, functions and effect of alloying elements- Nichrome and stainless steel (18/8) – heat treatment of steel. Phase rule: Introduction, definition of terms with examples, one component system -water system – reduced phase rule – thermal analysis and cooling curves – two component systems – lead-silver system – Pattinson process.
UNIT IV FUELS AND COMBUSTION
Fuels: Introduction – classification of fuels – coal – analysis of coal (proximate and ultimate) – carbonization – manufacture of metallurgical coke (Otto Hoffmann method) – petroleum – manufacture of synthetic petrol (Bergius process) – knocking – octane number – diesel oil – cetane number – natural gas – compressed natural gas (CNG) – liquefied petroleum gases (LPG) – power alcohol and biodiesel. Combustion of fuels: Introduction – calorific value – higher and lower calorific values- theoretical calculation of calorific value – ignition temperature – spontaneous ignition temperature – explosive range – flue gas analysis (ORSAT Method).
UNIT V ENERGY SOURCES AND STORAGE DEVICES
Nuclear fission – controlled nuclear fission – nuclear fusion – differences between nuclear fission and fusion – nuclear chain reactions – nuclear energy – light water nuclear power plant – breeder reactor – solar energy conversion – solar cells – wind energy. Batteries, fuel cells and supercapacitors: Types of batteries – primary battery (dry cell) secondary battery (lead acid battery, lithium-ion-battery) fuel cells – H2-O2 fuel cell.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
The knowledge gained on engineering materials, fuels, energy sources and water treatment techniques will facilitate better understanding of engineering processes and applications for further learning.
- S. S. Dara and S. S. Umare, ―A Textbook of Engineering Chemistry‖, S. Chand & Company LTD, New Delhi, 2015
- P. C. Jain and Monika Jain, ―Engineering Chemistry‖ Dhanpat Rai Publishing Company (P) LTD, New Delhi, 2015
- S. Vairam, P. Kalyani and Suba Ramesh, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Wiley India PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2013.
- Friedrich Emich, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Scientific International PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2014.
- Prasanta Rath, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Cengage Learning India PVT, LTD, Delhi, 2015.
- Shikha Agarwal, ―Engineering Chemistry-Fundamentals and Applications‖, Cambridge University Press, Delhi, 2015.
CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY NOTES
If you have any queries or comments on this post, kindly contact us through contact form or telegram
To contact us through telegram – Click here