HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH NOTES 2017 REGULATION
In this post we have posted some notes on HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH of HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES for ANNA UNIVERSITY AFFILIATED COLLEGES STUDENTS.
Here We have listed the the notes whichever we could collect for HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH subject, We think that it will be helpful for your exam preparation.
The Course prepares second semester engineering and Technology students to:
- Develop strategies and skills to enhance their ability to read and comprehend engineering and technology texts.
- Foster their ability to write convincing job applications and effective reports.
- Develop their speaking skills to make technical presentations, participate in group discussions.
- Strengthen their listening skill which will help them comprehend lectures and talks in their areas of specialization.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TECHNICAL ENGLISH
Listening- Listening to talks mostly of a scientific/technical nature and completing information-gap exercises- Speaking –Asking for and giving directions- Reading – reading short technical texts from journals- newsapapers- Writing- purpose statements – extended definitions – issue- writing instructions – checklists-recommendations-Vocabulary Development- technical vocabulary Language Development –subject verb agreement – compound words.
UNIT II READING AND STUDY SKILLS
Listening- Listening to longer technical talks and completing exercises based on them-Speaking – describing a process-Reading – reading longer technical texts- identifying the various transitions in a text- paragraphing- Writing- interpreting cgarts, graphs- Vocabulary Development- vocabulary used in formal letters/emails and reports Language Development- impersonal passive voice, numerical adjectives.
UNIT III TECHNICAL WRITING AND GRAMMAR
Listening- Listening to classroom lectures/ talkls on engineering/technology -Speaking – introduction to technical presentations- Reading – longer texts both general and technical, practice in speed reading; Writing-Describing a process, use of sequence words- Vocabulary Development- sequence words- Misspelled words. Language Development- embedded sentences.
UNIT IV REPORT WRITING
Listening- Listening to documentaries and making notes. Speaking – mechanics of presentations- Reading – reading for detailed comprehension- Writing- email etiquette- job application – cover letter –Résumé preparation( via email and hard copy)- analytical essays and issue based essays–Vocabulary Development- finding suitable synonyms-paraphrasing-Language Development- clauses- if conditionals.
UNIT V GROUP DISCUSSION AND JOB APPLICATIONS
Listening- TED/Ink talks; Speaking –participating in a group discussion -Reading– reading and understanding technical articles Writing– Writing reports- minutes of a meeting- accident and survey-Vocabulary Development- verbal analogies Language Development- reported speech.
TOTAL :60 PERIODS
At the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Read technical texts and write area- specific texts effortlessly.
- Listen and comprehend lectures and talks in their area of specialisation successfully.
- Speak appropriately and effectively in varied formal and informal contexts.
- Write reports and winning job applications.
- Board of editors. Fluency in English A Course book for Engineering and Technology. Orient Blackswan, Hyderabad: 2016.
- Sudharshana.N.P and Saveetha. C. English for Technical Communication. Cambridge University Press: New Delhi, 2016.
- Raman, Meenakshi and Sharma, Sangeetha- Technical Communication Principles and Practice.Oxford University Press: New Delhi,2014.
- Kumar, Suresh. E. Engineering English. Orient Blackswan: Hyderabad,2015
- Booth-L. Diana, Project Work, Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2014.
- Grussendorf, Marion, English for Presentations, Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2007 .
- Means, L. Thomas and Elaine Langlois, English & Communication For Colleges.
- Cengage Learning, USA: 2007 Students can be asked to read Tagore, Chetan Bhagat and for supplementary reading.
HS8251 TECHNICAL ENGLISH NOTES
If you have any queries or comments on this post, kindly contact us through contact form or telegram
To contact us through telegram – Click here