PH8151 ENGINEERING PHYSICS NOTES 2017 REGULATION
In this post we have posted some notes on PH8151 ENGINEERING PHYSICS of BASIC SCIENCE for ANNA UNIVERSITY AFFILIATED COLLEGES STUDENTS.
Here We have listed the the notes whichever we could collect for PH8151 ENGINEERING PHYSICS subject, We think that it will be helpful for your exam preparation.
- To enhance the fundamental knowledge in Physics and its applications relevant to various streams of Engineering and Technology.
UNIT I PROPERTIES OF MATTER
Elasticity – Stress-strain diagram and its uses – factors affecting elastic modulus and tensile strength – torsional stress and deformations – twisting couple – torsion pendulum: theory and experiment – bending of beams – bending moment – cantilever: theory and experiment – uniform and non-uniform bending: theory and experiment – I-shaped girders – stress due to bending in beams.
UNIT II WAVES AND FIBER OPTICS
Oscillatory motion – forced and damped oscillations: differential equation and its solution – plane progressive waves – wave equation. Lasers : population of energy levels, Einstein‘s A and B coefficients derivation – resonant cavity, optical amplification (qualitative) – Semiconductor lasers:homojunction and heterojunction – Fiber optics: Principle, numerical aperture and acceptance angle – types of optical fibres (material, refractive index, mode) – losses associated with optical fibers – fibre optic sensors: pressure and displacement.
UNIT III THERMAL PHYSICS
Transfer of heat energy – thermal expansion of solids and liquids – expansion joints – bimetallic strips – thermal conduction, convection and radiation – heat conductions in solids – thermal conductivity – Forbe‘s and Lee‘s disc method: theory and experiment – conduction through compound media (series and parallel) – thermal insulation – applications: heat exchangers, refrigerators, ovens and solar water heaters.
UNIT IV QUANTUM PHYSICS
Black body radiation – Planck‘s theory (derivation) – Compton effect: theory and experimental verification – wave particle duality – electron diffraction – concept of wave function and its physical significance – Schrödinger‘s wave equation – time independent and time dependent equations – particle in a one-dimensional rigid box – tunnelling (qualitative) – scanning tunnelling microscope.
UNIT V CRYSTAL PHYSICS
Single crystalline, polycrystalline and amorphous materials – single crystals: unit cell, crystal systems, Bravais lattices, directions and planes in a crystal, Miller indices – inter-planar distances – coordination number and packing factor for SC, BCC, FCC, HCP and diamond structures – crystal imperfections: point defects, line defects – Burger vectors, stacking faults – role of imperfections in plastic deformation – growth of single crystals: solution and melt growth techniques.
TOTAL :45 PERIODS
Upon completion of this course,
- The students will gain knowledge on the basics of properties of matter and its applications,
- The students will acquire knowledge on the concepts of waves and optical devices and their applications in fibre optics,
- The students will have adequate knowledge on the concepts of thermal properties of materials and their applications in expansion joints and heat exchangers,
- The students will get knowledge on advanced physics concepts of quantum theory and its applications in tunneling microscopes.
- The students will understand the basics of crystals, their structures and different crystal growth techniques.
- Bhattacharya, D.K. & Poonam, T. ―Engineering Physics‖. Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Gaur, R.K. & Gupta, S.L. ―Engineering Physics‖. Dhanpat Rai Publishers, 2012.
- Pandey, B.K. & Chaturvedi, S. ―Engineering Physics‖. Cengage Learning India, 2012.
- Halliday, D., Resnick, R. & Walker, J. ―Principles of Physics‖. Wiley, 2015.
- Serway, R.A. & Jewett, J.W. ―Physics for Scientists and Engineers‖. Cengage Learning, 2010.
- Tipler, P.A. & Mosca, G. ―Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics‘. W.H.Freeman, 2007.
PH8151 ENGINEERING PHYSICS NOTES
If you have any queries or comments on this post, kindly contact us through contact form or telegram
To contact us through telegram – Click here