PH8252 PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE NOTES 2017 REGULATIONS
In this post we have posted some notes on PH8252 PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE of BASIC SCIENCES and is common for CSE & IT DEPARTMENTS ONLY for ANNA UNIVERSITY AFFILIATED COLLEGES STUDENTS.
Here We have listed the the notes whichever we could collect for PH8252 PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE subject, We think that it will be helpful for your exam preparation.
- To understand the essential principles of Physics of semiconductor device and Electron transport properties. Become proficient in magnetic and optical properties of materials and Nano-electronic devices.
UNIT I ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Classical free electron theory – Expression for electrical conductivity – Thermal conductivity, expression – Wiedemann-Franz law – Success and failures – electrons in metals – Particle in a three dimensional box – degenerate states – Fermi- Dirac statistics – Density of energy states – Electron in periodic potential – Energy bands in solids – tight binding approximation – Electron effective mass – concept of hole.
UNIT II SEMICONDUCTOR PHYSICS
Intrinsic Semiconductors – Energy band diagram – direct and indirect band gap semiconductors – Carrier concentration in intrinsic semiconductors – extrinsic semiconductors – Carrier concentration in N-type & P-type semiconductors – Variation of carrier concentration with temperature – variation of Fermi level with temperature and impurity concentration – Carrier transport in Semiconductor: random motion, drift, mobility and diffusion – Hall effect and devices – Ohmic contacts – Schottky diode.
UNIT III MAGNETIC PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Magnetic dipole moment – atomic magnetic moments- magnetic permeability and susceptibility – Magnetic material classification: diamagnetism –paramagnetism – ferromagnetism – antiferromagnetism – ferrimagnetism – Ferromagnetism: origin and exchange interaction- saturation magnetization and Curie temperature – Domain Theory- M versus H behaviour – Hard and soft magnetic materials – examples and uses-– Magnetic principle in computer data storage – Magnetic hard disc (GMR sensor).
UNIT IV OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Classification of optical materials – carrier generation and recombination processes – Absorption emission and scattering of light in metals, insulators and semiconductors (concepts only) – photo current in a P-N diode – solar cell – LED – Organic LED – Laser diodes – Optical data storage techniques.
UNIT V NANO DEVICES
Electron density in bulk material – Size dependence of Fermi energy – Quantum confinement – Quantum structures – Density of states in quantum well, quantum wire and quantum dot structure – Band gap of nanomaterials – Tunneling: single electron phenomena and single electron transistor – Quantum dot laser. Conductivity of metallic nanowires – Ballistic transport – Quantum resistance and conductance – Carbon nanotubes: Properties and applications .
TOTAL :45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the students will able to
- Gain knowledge on classical and quantum electron theories, and energy band structuues,
- Acquire knowledge on basics of semiconductor physics and its applications in various devices,
- Get knowledge on magnetic properties of materials and their applications in data storage,
- Have the necessary understanding on the functioning of optical materials for optoelectronics,
- Understand the basics of quantum structures and their applications in carbon electronics.
- Jasprit Singh, ―Semiconductor Devices: Basic Principles‖, Wiley 2012.
- Kasap, S.O. ―Principles of Electronic Materials and Devices‖, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
- Kittel, C. ―Introduction to Solid State Physics‖. Wiley, 2005.
- Garcia, N. & Damask, A. ―Physics for Computer Science Students‖. Springer-Verlag, 2012.
- Hanson, G.W. ―Fundamentals of Nanoelectronics‖. Pearson Education, 2009.
- Rogers, B., Adams, J. & Pennathur, S. ―Nanotechnology: Understanding Small Systems‖. CRC Press, 2014.
PH8252 PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE NOTES
If you have any queries or comments on this post, kindly contact us through contact form or telegram
To contact us through telegram – Click here